The Buffet Theory
You know how when you go through a buffet, you pile your plate high with all the things, but barely shovel half of it into your body before filling up and breaking for a food coma? Is this just me? Well
So, who’s ready to recap the summer and see how it all played out? Let’s go.
About That Schedule…
I can count on one finger exactly how many times we followed the printed, laminated, and interchangeable schedule I created. Once – and my Type–A self is completely cool with that. The one thing my summer
The Schedule That Kept Us
The magic of freedom sparked early in June and we took hard to the slower grind of summer days and nights. For inquiring minds, here’s how many a day played out over the last few months:
- Bedhead, coffee, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse occupied the hours immediately following breakfast.
- Pack [almost] daily pool bag [with the family fave: PB&Js] while kids chased each other around the house, yard, or basement. Someone watch out for Leo, please!
- YMCA for everyone’s daily activity. Indoor play for the squad and a guilt-free run for this mom.
- Two hours of chlorine and sunshine. Call us a pool rats, we won’t mind a bit.
- Naps never came before 2:00 p.m. 9 times out 10, STC walked into a house full of snoozers making that 5:30 p.m. dinnertime a laughable feat.
- Bedtime routine consisted of the smell of freshly popped popcorn and the viewing of classic movies like The Sandlot and The Little Rascals.
- We traded books for movies and bedtimes for front porch rockin’ but eventually by 9:00 p.m. [usually, a bedtime unheard of in our home] we kissed, prayed, and tucked our sweet, tanned, summer babes.
and that Summer Bucket List?
Incomplete and 100% satisfied. Here are the things we actually checked off our summer bucket list:
- Kings Island
- Outdoor Movie – GeeGee’s new porch made it
- Lake Lorelei
- Gunnar’s Pool – a favorite and multi-visited item
- Zoo Splash Pad
- Beach – but not the one with an ocean as preferred
- Water Gun Fight – actually a hose + water balloon fight with GeeGee and Papa and some sweet little Duggan girls.
- Feed the Ducks – only there weren’t any around so we fed fish and turtles instead!
- S’mores – well if you count these brownies then check.
- Lemonade Stand – a flop but checked off no less!
- Camp, Visit Cousins, and of course, the YMCA + Calypso Cove
So we may not have checked it all, but it’s the furthest thing from a mom fail or even bucket list fail. We made memories doing things we didn’t even know to have on the list, like sleeping in a screened-in porch with grandma and cousins while staying up
- A night out at the Bats game with CiCi.
- A day at Build A Bear with Grampy + Grammy.
- Coney Island with GeeGee + Papa and three cousins we never get to see!
- Taking care of the youngest babies on both sides of our family.
- Playing with old friends and making new ones.
- Three visits from the Tooth Fairy!
- Doing absolutely nothing
Ok, We Get It. #BestSummerEver
I tell you all of this, not for a pat on the back or to admit I failed at my very own system, no. I tell you all of this because while we didn’t “Make It Happen” Monday or “Think of Someone” Thursday, there’s not a moment I would change. Okay, the moment[s] L went into Tyrannosaurus Tantrum Mode at the pool could use some tweaking. But even then, it was an opportunity for grace, something I learned a lot about this summer.
Maybe you made it all happen. Maybe you started strong and petered out [hi, we’re new besties]. Maybe you pinned and planned and were handed a plot twist. Maybe you did none of it because you’re not crazy sauce like me. Maybe it wasn’t the best summer ever — we’ve had some pretty amazing ones top top — but it was pretty freakin’ awesome. No matter what, I think we can all subscribe to this notion:
There’s not a time in my childhood I look back on more fondly than those summer days.
Adios, Ciao Ciao, See Ya Next Year
I am crying buckets saying goodbye to our carefree, golden-skin, and chlorine filled days. While already contemplating our 2019 Summer Bucket List, I’ll be sure to leave some white space for those epic bonus memories.
Still here? Whew, #longestrecapever! Happy Wednesday, Y’all! We’ve got two-ish more days before the last long weekend of summer. Let’s do this! Remember, you can share Ooh La Laura blog posts using the little icons below. Hope to see you back here Friday for a round-up! Subscribe below and have it sent directly to your inbox when it goes live at 8 a.m.