My affection for Multi-Way styling is making its way to the kitchen. Recently, I baked a batch of Pumpkin Spice Muffins [PSM] for an impromptu brunch. I am a sugar addict so obviously I had to kick up this basic Weight Watchers muffin with a streusel topping. The muffins by morning transformed to dessert in the evening with the addition of a cream cheese frosting filling. As Fancy Nancy would say, voila, the Pumpkin Spice Mupcake was born.
#PSM – Pumpkin Spice MupCake
This recipe is a no brainer. Buy a box of Betty Crocker’s Spice Cake and a 15 oz can of Pumpkin. Mix together, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of water [thins the consistency] and plop into some muffin tins, filling 3/4 of the cup. This should make 18 mupcakes. While they settle into their new little home, mix up the streusel topping.
The streusel topping is as basic as the PSL at Starbucks. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter and pour on top a half cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 5 tablespoons of flour. Using a pastry blender [or even a fork], blend ingredients until clumps appear. I don’t see nothing wrong with a little fluff and grind [you’re welcome for that epic R. Kelly pun], so continue to mix until you have a decent size crumb for topping.
Top each mupcake with 1/2 tablespoon of the cinnamon sugar streusel topping. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake.
Cream Cheese Frosting Filling
While the delicious scent of fall and pumpkin fill your home, prepare the cream cheese frosting. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and mix with 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp of vanilla extract [I use imitation so I am a little more generous], and 8 ounces of softened cream cheese. If frosting is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk at a time until the consistency thins.
Basic Brunch Babe
Remove baked mupcakes from oven and let them rest in the muffin tin for 2 minutes. Using a strainer, sprinkle powder sugar atop and then remove from tin. You could stop here: serve ’em hot for brunch! However, if you’re feeling fancy, go ahead and set aside half the batch for some center-filled dessert.
Eat Dessert First
Once the dessert-destined mupcakes are cooled completely, insert a corer in middle, twist and pull up, removing the center carefully. With an icing spatula, scoop up the cream cheese frosting and insert it into the center opening. Push out the removed cake from the corer’s grip and place it on top of the frosting, gently pushing it back into place.
Pumpkin Spice Mupcake
By Laura Canfield x Ooh La Laura
Ingredients for the MupCake
1 – Box of Betty Crocker Spice Cake Mix
1 – 15 oz can of Pumpkin
1/3 to 1/2 Cup – Water
Ingredients for the Streusel Topping
3 Tbsp – Butter, melted
1/2 Cup – Brown Sugar
5 Tbsp – Flour
1/2 tsp – Cinnamon
Ingredients for the Cream Cheese Frosting Filling
8 ounces – Cream Cheese, softened
1 Tbsp – Butter, melted
1 cup – Powder Sugar
1/2 tsp – Vanilla Extract [1 tsp if using imitation]
1 Tbsp – milk, as needed
Instructions for the Mupcake
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Empty Spice Cake Mix into mixing bowl.
- Using a spatula, empty Pumpkin from can into mixing bowl.
- Add 1/3 cup of water.
- Using a hand mixer, mix ingredients together. Add more water as needed.
- Fill 18 muffin liners 3/4 full of mixture. Set aside.
Instructions for the Streusel
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Combine ½ cup of brown sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 5 tablespoons of flour and melted butter using a pastry blender or fork.
- Blend until clumps turn into large crumbs.
- Top mupcakes with ½ tablespoon of crumbs.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until center of mupcake comes out clean on a toothpick. Do not overbake.
Muffins best served warm, straight out of the oven. Yum!
Instructions for the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Mix melted butter with 1 cup of powdered sugar, ½ tsp of Vanilla Extract [or 1 tsp VE imitation] and 8 ounces of softened cream cheese.
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time if consistency needs thinning.
Filling the Mupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Allow mupcakes to cool completely before adding the cream cheese frosting filling.
- To remove the center of the mupcake, insert a Corer, twist and pull cake out.
- Using an icing spatula, insert frosting to the center.
- Extract removed cake by gently pushing it out of the corer from the streusel top.
- Place extracted cake on top of the frosting and press down carefully.
There you have it. The easiest fall brunch to dessert recipe you will ever bake. I may not be a fan of #PSL [Pumpkin Spice Lattes], but I’m down to devour a batch of #PSM [Pumpkin Spice Mupcakes]. Did this just make your Sunday Menu? Let me know how it turns out in the comments below or by using the hashtag #PSM and #OohLaLaura when posting to social media!
Shop the Post
Check back with me on Monday for a full recap of last weekend’s mama getaway in Lauderdale By the Sea, Florida!