What, No #Nsale?
While bloggers across the country are falling over themselves promoting the #nsale, I want to share something a little less glam: a DIY project. STC, the good sport that he is, and I have dabbled in DIY projects during our six years of home ownership. Some are simple [baby gate], or still in progress [Noah’s major bedroom reno], and some make it across the finish line.
The Half-Bath Vanity
The pedestal sink was about the most builder-grade aspect of our 14 year old home. While it served it’s one purpose well, my mom, bless, told us a horror story we could not shake. Replacing the sink-of-horror quickly skyrocketed to the top of our to-do list. Obviously, the logical solution would have been as follows:
1. Go to Home Depot.
2. Buy a vanity.
3. Install. Done.
Since I love to a) save money, b) create something special, and c) never rest [much to my husband’s dismay], the progression of replacing our pedestal sink went a little more like this:
1. Gifted antique desk.
2. Transform to a bathroom vanity.
3. Months later…install.
Okay stick with me: my mom’s husband’s [hey, Dave!] mom [thanks, June!] gifted us her father’s antique desk knowing we had an intention to re-purpose it. It took us a few months and several Pinterest searches before we landed on remodeling it to fit our vanity needs.
First, we removed all the drawers, stripped them of their former pulls and filled in the holes they left behind.
To prepare the surfaces for paint, I lightly sanded the wood. Since sanding is the absolute devil, I also applied liquid sander to expedite the process.
Once the liquid sander was wiped off, I applied Glidden Gripper Primer which has a bit of texture to, ya know, grip the surface and paint.
After the surfaces were primed, I applied Behr oil-based paint in Benjamin Moore Chelsea Gray [purchased and mixed at Home Depot for a fraction of the BM cost] to the drawer fronts and bottom of the desk. I chose oil-based paint because the paint blends well, looks smoother and rarely leaves a brush stroke behind. This type of paint takes roughly 2 to 3 days to completely cure [prior to curing, it will be tacky to the touch]. It’s also insanely potent so be sure to properly ventilate.
The Big Guns
Around this time is when I have to call in the big guns, aka, STC and a reciprocating saw. We purchased a drop-in porcelain sink bowl and followed the package instructions to cut a hole in the top of the desk.
Lookin’ more like a vanity now, ain’t she? While I had STC, [he vanishes quickly when I get all “ideas-y“] I asked him to bridge the gap at the bottom of the desk. Using the trim work found on the inside of the desk, he adhered trim to the front and back bases of the desk. I’m sure there were measurements and angles plus adhesives, but I’m only here to take the pictures, guys.
Bridging the gap was an important step [to me at least] because it shifted the focus from “oh look, they dropped a sink bowl in a desk top” to appearing like an actual vanity. It also provided the foundation to lay a piece of MDF board and create a shelf floor.
Our original vision was to close that center gap completely with DIY cabinet doors. Unfortunately, the sides of the desk were skewed and they would have been off-center [not to mention a pain…for STC]. Instead we [and I mean he] created a mini-shelf half way between the base and sink basin which appeases me, for now [but y’all cabinet doors are still the goal].
Somewhere along this journey, drawer pulls were attached, bun feet were added to the bottom, the desktop got a coat of paint, a mirror was removed [more on that later] and this DIY beaut was installed. Installation was harder than it appears, I’m just sure. I recall a handful of curse words and a few please to “stop with the pictures“.
A few things to touch on:
1. In addition to bridging that center gap and adding a base, these corbel feet give it more of a vanity vibe, if you will.
2. We used the face of the middle desk drawer to cover the underbelly of the sink basin.
3. The center shelf only extends about two-thirds of the way back because of the plumbing neck. This was one of my reasons for wanting cabinet doors, but with clever towel placement, it’s actually not a huge eyesore.
The Finished Product
Apothecary Jars + Greenery: Home Goods
This DIY vanity was installed roughly two years ago and has actually held up incredibly well. The oil-based paint was such a win. Everything from dirty fingerprints to dripped soap has been easily wiped up with no damage left behind.
I often forget how brilliant STC is when it comes to these DIY projects. I am a dreamer, like a big time dreamer [I even have a tattoo to symbolize it]. Sometimes he has to sit me down and make me look at math [ugh] and DIY doesn’t always make financial sense. For the projects he does green light, I’m amazed how he brings my crazy visions to life. I haven’t recorded or blogged about nearly enough of them, but some more DIY dreams-turned-reality can be found here.
Pin it, share it, forward it or comment on it below. I would love to hear what projects you have dreamed up, taken on or hope to knock out this century.
I will be posting daily on Instagram and IG stories so be sure to follow along there as well. I absolutely love being social, at least that’s what they told my mama in grade school. Next week, I’m bringing a new recipe to share, a styling how-to and more.
Only 4 weekends left of summer break [AH!] so I hope you have a fantastic weekend!