For months, I’ve been checking the lighting aisle of Target in search of a lampshade. I was looking for something of medium size with a print complimentary to our home colors. I would have my Cartwheel coupon clipped (if you don’t have the Cartwheel app, you are just leaving money on the counter in the Target checkout lane! Download now!) and I would walk up and down, back and forth, trying to make one of the shades available to me work. I would leave the store, empty handed (and a little disappointed I couldn’t get 20% off my non-existent purchase with my Carthwheel coup!), and try the TJ Maxx and HomeGoods down the sidewalk. Finally, I took matters into my own hands.
I found this black and white drum lampshade at HomeGoods. The size is exactly what I wanted and the only one of its 14″ x 14″ symmetrical size. I remembered something I saw on Pinterest about recovering lampshades so I purchased it for a whopping $16.99 and headed to JoAnn Fabrics. I purchased a yard (a yard is not necessary, but it was on sale and I knew I would put it to use it in other places) of this Waverly fabric. In my mind when choosing fabric, when in doubt, choose Waverly.
I measured 14 inches both in width and length and then added an inch to each measurement. After I cut, I realized that was more than generous. In the future, I would only add about a 1/4 inch to each measurement.
In an effort to keep “bulk” at bay, I attached the first edge of the fabric in a different place than the seam from the white liner. I placed hot glue along the length of the shade and sealed one edge. I then, carefully, wrapped the remaining fabric around the shade, insuring that pattern didn’t pull and shift the lines. Once the seams met, I trimmed off a bit from Edge B so the pattern would be cohesive.
I trimmed off a good amount of the excess fabric from both sides. I hot glued a line about 3 inches long at the inside base of the lamp shade. I placed the fabric over the glue and “tucked” the edges into the rolled shade edge.
Along the top, I cut a slit in the 3 places where fabric met the metal.
Once everything was glued, I double checked loose areas and sealed them for reassurance. Voila…
Once that hubby gets home, we will find this DIY a home…and just wait til you see where!